It’s getting to that happy time of year – wedding season! Couples have a lot of decisions to make, here is some help on how to choose your MC!
Choosing an MC for your reception is a very important part of the night. The MC is the face of the event and can make or break the night. The MC should be more than someone who is just funny and can tell good jokes, they should be able to think on their feet, speak eloquently, take direction and keep the flow of the event going. The person you choose will be responsible for welcoming, entertaining, & informing your guests for the evening.
Who should you choose?
Many couples think that they should choose the funniest person they know to MC their wedding. Whether it is a friend, family member or a professional, the MC should be chosen based on a few important characteristics:
- Quick Thinking
Tips for your MC
A couple of important tips for your MC to remember are:
- Coordinate with the wedding planner: The planner should always reach out to the MC and the two should be on the same page at all times. The planner will run the show on the back end and the MC on the front end
- Speak to the crowd, not at the crowd: This will ensure that the guests stay engaged all night long
- Command the audience: A commanding MC will always keep the attention of the guests
- Keep it short and sweet: There is going to be a great program for the night and your responsibility is to keep your comments short to keep the program moving along
- No inside jokes!: You, the bride & groom, and a couple of friends might find your joke hilarious, but the other hundreds of guests might be scratching their heads or be confused by it. Keep your jokes & stories short and general enough for everyone to LOL
Considering a professional
Considering a professional MC is good idea if you aren’t comfortable giving the responsibility to a family member or friend, that way you can rest assured that all of your guests are enjoying the night and not having to “work”. By hiring a professional you can feel at ease that they will manage and coordinate the evening, giving your guests a great experience. A professional will always be able to handle the pressure, be prepared to speak to an audience of that size, have the experience to handle one-off situations that might arise, and elevate the caliber of the event.
Whoever you choose, if you follow the helpful tips above, you’ll be sure to have a successful wedding reception!